S'pore drivers can be selfish & reckless too

The following letter was published in the New Paper on 23 May 2009.

S'pore drivers can be selfish & reckless too
I WOULD like to comment on the statements by Mr Elangovan and Mr Rehmat Kiwon in the article 'It's the fault of foreign drivers' (The New Paper, 20 May).

I am from Scotland and I have been living here for the last two years. I think their comments against foreign drivers are rather offensive.

As foreigners here, we do know how to drive, and also follow the same rules while we are on the road.

From my experience, I think driving in Singapore is scary.

Some Singaporean drivers are selfish, they show no courtesy at all on the roads.

When I signal to the left or right to go to the next junction, they should let me go, but unfortunately they speed up and pass my car.

This could lead to an accident if I am not cautious while making the turn.

Courtesy does not cost anything, but unfortunately this is not the case.

My opinion about driving in Singapore is supported by comments from taxi drivers as I take taxis regularly.

Regarding the recent accident where four workers were killed - the companies which transported the foreign workers should be asked to pay a heavy fine.

I often see a lot of heavy equipment being carried at the back of the lorry, along with the workers.

If an accident occurs, the workers will be crushed to death instantly.

The authorities should ban this practice and improve ways to transport foreign workers to their workplace.

 They are hard-working people and deserve a proper mode of transport while they work in Singapore.

I am sure the company can afford a proper minibus with seat belts for them.

These amenities could save lives in the event of an accident.

But these companies find the cheapest way to transport them, as they do not want to spend the money on the workers.

I suggest that the Land Transport Authority take quick steps or decisions to avoid more unneccesary deaths.

This form of transport should have been banned a long time ago, and companies should be encouraged to use the proper form of transport.

FROM READER HERLIEN HUGHES

Comments